Systems Approach to Safety for the Environment Working Group KO meetingFriday 17 June, 2022 - Zoom, 14:00-15:30
The SCSC is looking to start a new working group looking at environmental safety and systems. This is proposed as Systems Approach to Safety for the Environment Working Group (SASEWG).
Why are we doing this? Well there are some real and important difference between systems safety in a traditional specific safety sector (aviation, rail, etc.) and systems safety as applied to systems which are embedded within the natural environment. Some of these are:
- There is likely a longer time frame for harm to materialise
- Harm may be long-term and difficult to assess
- Systems have potentially wide scope and with more affected parties (for instance pollution in the ocean due to shipping)
- There can be more interactions and relationships between elements (and stakeholders)
- Systems may have less well-defined and 'leaky' boundaries
- There may be many competing demands with commercial, governmental, national, NGO and individual interests
- There are more unknowns and ‘Dark Consequences’, i.e. we don’t know what the effect will be in the future, particularly on human health
- It is expected that there is little current use of safety analyses, formal assurance or safety cases, etc.
The WG would be looking to take a whole systems 'holistic' approach, and to see if new guidance can be created to improve the situation.
The inital kick-off meeting will be by Zoom, Friday 17th June, 2pm UK time.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
© SCSC 2022