Safer Complex Systems Working Group (SCSWG)
The SCSC Safer Complex Systems WG builds on the IET/RAE work already done in this area. It is recognised that the RAE work is ongoing and collaboration is encouraged.
To produce practical guidance on developing, managing and assuring safety of complex systems throughout their lifecycle
Statement of the Problem
- It is acknowledged that complex systems are becoming more prevalent with more opportunities to cause harm
- There are also new complex systems arising from using combinations of existing systems and services which are then used for safety purposes
- Complex systems are not sufficiently addressed in current safety management practices and standards
- In particular, complex interactions and emergent behaviours are not currently assessed and managed sufficiently
- There could be benefit in developing new analysis, tools and techniques to manage complex system risks
- There are clear business and societal benefits, in terms of reduced harm, reduced liabilities and improved business efficiencies, in improved management of complex systems risk
We already have quite a few existing members, some draft documents and lots of interest. We will build on this.
The SCSC Safer Complex Systems WG meeting #6 will be held 28th November 16:00-17:30 UK time by Zoom:
Please contact email@example.com if you want to attend.
David H. Slater and Ben J. M. Ale: Safety and Complexity
Peter Bernard Ladkin - Notes on Simon Whiteley's Überlingen Analysis
© SCSC 2023